Skip to main content

The sad laughing buddha

http://blog.talluk.com/the-sad-laughing-buddha/




                                                       The Sad Laughing Buddha

One of the biggest virtues of Buddha’s followers has been their pursuit for excellence to become

the Human Beings in their purest forms. Probably that’s why the Buddha was portrayed as Laughing

Buddha too because his clear message was to smile and spread smiles all over so that the world can be a

congenial place where everybody is Happy.

But, how do the smiles spread when there are no more eye contacts. The people in this technology freak

world are so immersed in their iPhones, Samsungs and smart phones that they have forgotten the very

basic ethos of harmony and camaraderie.

Many of the similar kind of thoughts bombarded my mind during my recent travel to Singapore. The

moment I entered the local train (MRT), the whole world seemed completely unaware of me or the real human

beings all around. I saw the very pretty girls wearing stunning outfits with nobody to throw a gaze at

them. I saw the old lady trying hard to stand but nobody letting their eyes off their gadgets to see the

irony and pain in her eyes, probably just a mere mention of her round spectacles would have made her

happy or an offer of the seat to sit would have given her strength to continue with her hardships with

aplomb. I saw a herd of young executives with the ear phones plugged in and their blank eyes moving in

every direction, I could see they all are struggling to get their thoughts consolidated but none of them

had anybody to talk with them and neither they seemed too willing to initiate any discussions with

somebody coz they too were wearing a mask of oblivion in the form of that mp3 player. I saw a couple

who never looked like a couple, their eyes were constantly staring at their devices busy in transferring

some stuff to each other.

I saw so many people, so different yet so similar, I don’t remember any face because none of them

had any; they only had the apathy for everybody around. I suddenly felt Déjà vu and realized I have

seen many science fiction Hollywood movies where the world is tamed by Robotic entities and it’s so

much apocryphal all around. I thought further and realized that here is a pattern more than obvious

and then how come it is being unnoticed so much, or it is that this pattern is rapidly and keenly being

observed by those Business People who are currently ruling the human minds to come out with more

and more contagious Games, Devices, platforms and gadgets to keep them hooked even longer. People

themselves have forced their self-beings into the money making schema of the business world.

I learnt during my Management program that the human beings constantly learn through out their lives,

and the phenomenon is omnipresent due to the natural tendency of “Observations”. If the current trend

continues then I am sure the end to this learning cycle is not far.

Man essentially is a social animal. He needs to share thoughts, he needs to fight, he needs to love and

be loved, he needs to feel sad and shattered at times. These are not mere characteristics but are the

basic necessities for the Human beings to survive. These are the building blocks of the Social Structure

and their evolution and advancement into a stable system which is closer to the equilibrium. Above

all, all these activities have to take place among real human beings with an involvement of the 5 major

senses. This complete involvement of 5 senses makes a person capable of having a tryst with the

ethereal and out of the world experiences where the sixth sense is awakened. This simple yet extremely

complex phenomenon is the one required for a person’s transformation and to make him understand

the real meaning of life.

A human being without having a real purpose and moving in vague directions is the most dangerous

animal on the planet. While the objective of the technology and these omnipresent gadgets was to give

something to man to have fun in their extra times; after spending the time on their occupation, family,

sports, friends, health etc; these have taken the toll on the essential activities. Aren’t we losing sight?

Aren’t we so getting distraught from the real vision of making the planet a place worth living? Yes, we

are and I can bet my life on that.

No wonder, the Laughing Buddha would be sad to see his very own earth being converted from

“one home for everybody” to a “colony of different homes for every individual”, where everybody is

wirelessly connected yet so Detached from each other. Now completely lost in so many aching thoughts,

I suddenly saw an old, bald man with a big belly trying to look at me from the corners of his eyes. He

perhaps could peep into my mind and follow the stream of my thoughts. I looked at him, he smiled, I

smiled back, there was sudden exchange of thoughts and we both nodded in acceptance of each other’s

notions. Probably the Buddha too smiled somewhere because this moment, the world seemed better to

me once again.

Comments

Must Read

O almighty, only you can do this all....

Only you can do this all I found an astonishing place far away from my home, travelled thousands of miles right there in Livingstone. The river Zambezi, placed there on the landscapes just right, And the grand Victoria falls showing me their passion and might. I see the river upside down hanging from that bungee rope, All faces smiling, all eyes beaming; it certainly is the abode of Hope. A small but audacious bird chirping and sitting on the Hippo’s back, And I clicked the moment timeously standing from the river cruise’s deck. The sunset over the river displaying the spectrum of color and shade And I, watching the phenomenon spellbound; wondering, how He made. Crossing the Victoria bridge right through the rainbows, While hearing the thundering sound of the falls coming from very close. That lonely tree still holding its grip on the edges of the fall, O almighty, you and only you can do this a

Being Ambitious or Being Progressive: A subtle difference between the two

It’s a tricky and contentious subject, I chose to write upon. I am sure it will invite a lot of favor as well as critic from the readers. Well, my objective anyhow was to stimulate a chain of thoughts in your minds. This morning, the newspaper was abuzz with the news of Mr Azim Premji joining the Gates-Buffet charitable trust as the 1 st Indian, where he vows to give away a major part of his wealth for philanthropy. Being such a rich man, he still drives a Toyota Corolla, prefers to not to stay in 5-star hotels and leads a very normal life devoid of any frills. I always remember what the great Warren Buffet once said, “If you want to be rich, stop acting rich”. These are a few of those rare exemplary moments which have the potential to be a phenomenon. But unfortunately, in the world we witness today, even such novel ideas don’t have many takers. Please don’t assume that I am a profound philanthropist anyway but I certainly and firmly believe in the fact that un-necessary s

dare to be your true self

Dare to be your true self Standing on the beautiful landscapes of the Mount Entoto in Addis Ababa, the capital city of Ethiopia, I gazed at the sky and yelled at him; “why the results are not always as per the expectations”…..comes back the voice; “Calm down my son, because it just doesn’t matter”. I am surprised, where the voice came from…..is it from the sky? Is it the God himself? Oh, It’s from my inside….amazing, someone always within me, yet so indiscoverable… I asked him, who are you?? The voice came back, I am your friend, the one you never had faith on; I am the origin of everything, you never acknowledged; I am the creator, you never believed on…… “Why do you talk to me then?” I asked. “For the same reason, I talked with Arjuna during the epic of Mahabharata; he had wisdom to understand but yet he was confused; he was capable yet he lacked self-belief; he knew he was wrong yet he questioned to gain the better understanding. You question my presence too; I had no

The HUNT

“Yours is a strange and self-obsessed generation who just can’t get over your personal ego to believe in something. Above all, you take pride in hurting the sentiments of your elders, showing your angst and disbelief against the conventional wisdom”, that is my mother at her rhetoric best. Unfortunately, I could not understand her as she could never understand me. There are millions of parents having the same complaints from their kids. I can’t comment on all of them as I would be too naive and unaware of their feelings. But in my case, I can say that the chasm is not built based on our contrasting beliefs but on the contrary this is a gap between “blind beliefs” and “Questions”. Those who raise the questions and speak their minds can’t be politically correct always. I always say that Human brain confuses; now I also think that the brain is wired in such a way that it understands only polar positions. Anything in between, it finds it difficult to understand. We have given the

On Fire....

On Fire Today after several months, I finally got an opportunity to sit quietly and do nothing in the long flight. When I say quietly, it doesn’t necessarily indicate towards the vocal sounds emitting from the human face’s cavity surrounded by the lips, but this time it is the quietness of the mind. The tranquil state of the brain unknowingly opens those channels where from come the deepest of the thoughts. The silence deep in the heart is the place where resides the mind in it’s supreme state of solitude. I was wondering what this phenomenon actually is, how come sometimes, I don’t hear any noise outside and how come sometimes, it’s all blabbering everywhere? How can sometimes, one can be so unperturbed despite of the quaking external events around? Is it due to the happiness….No, it’s the sublime state of serenity, where one finds true bliss. Is it eternal…?? no, probably not. I still have not mellowed to a stage where I can experience “Eternal Bliss”; but don’t I lov